Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I am not a Cylon!

Ever wonder why I say I grew up in this town but it seems nobody I 'knew' is around? Or that the few people who do are strangely connected either to Wushu (El 'Sickness') or military equipment (Jerry at the surplus?) Or how it seems most of my friends from college come from the same high school in, of ALL places, San Diego? Or my aesthetic affinity for machines and technology?

Stop wondering.



I had a childhood, dammit! See? I got pictures to prove it. I wasn't artificially created by machines in a plot to destroy humanity!

Just picked up a scanner, partly motivated by irrational exuberance,
partly by this mess of negatives I found while cleaning out the house a few weeks back. I don't know what happened, but most of the actual photos from my childhood have been missing pretty much since I started college. I figure it's a mix of bad organizational skills and moving two or three dozen times. Not everything is there, and some are my brother's forays into photography (not half bad, actually), but I guess at this point I'll take what I can get.

I picked up the Canon Canoscan LiDE 500F(1), mainly 'cause it could fit in one of my drawers, looked cool, and happened to get some nice reviews. Its film and negative scanning definitely is definitely intended for casual use, though -- scanning several slides takes a lot more mucking about than I'd like. I'll have to exercise much editorial license in what gets preserved and what will be lost to the ages.

That photo is unflattering, but so appropriate.

(1) I admit I mention this so precisely because I'm curious what ads would get put up for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice you have the classic asian bowl cut.. perfectly straight across the forehead!

burnowt said...

Yup. Le Salon du Mom. Or Dad, actually. Whoever felt like it'd be a fun thing to do. Though for the record, bowl was very common on 80s kids.

Anonymous said...

Any pics of you and Dan as young'uns?

burnowt said...

Well, see, therein lies the misconception. I didn't really know Dan until I was 19. That's younger, of course, but I wouldn't call us young'uns.

I think I have a few photos from Yosemite when we were like 22.