Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Spoils

Finally on my vacation. I've had my fill of umpteen-hour flights to the various corners of the globe/nation, so I've decided to go for the exact opposite of 'getting the most' out of my vacation time this time around, and will be spending my time visiting the fabulous San Francisco Bay Area. I'm planning on doing a few Wushu workouts, doing a few jogs up to Lake Temescal, taking a long drive around to places that will help clear out my head, and spend time in coffee shops on my new MacBook stealing some poor sap's Wi-Fi to make pithy blog entries, such as I am now. That is, I'm planning on doing absolutely fucking nothing.

The difficulty of this is not to be underestimated. The preoccupations of the last month or so has left unquenched my blood thirst for affordable East Bay real-estate. A flawed-yet-highly-desirable target has wandered into my sights and I'm trying to make some casual moves on it, which I'm finding is about as easy as running a 'casual' space shuttle launch. I never expected home-buying to be an easy process, but I'm still surprised with just how many variables there are. I've lived a long, happy life without pondering WTF a sewer lateral is, but now it's one thing I absolutely can't stop thinking about w/r/t this property, and the grave, archaic injustice of having to share one with two other residents. It's all likely moot anyway, for my shot at this particular property is slim at best.

Time is a rare ally here, though, and I need to learn to work with it. Though my sanity suffers, I can live at home slightly longer to wait for ideal targets and to better condition myself to go in for the kill when the time comes by straightening my finances out even more.

I need to talk about other things or else I'll be a total wreck. Which I will. Talk about other things, that is. I finally saw a respectable movie that I really enjoyed. I've finished reading Infinite Jest. The A's choked in the league playoffs. I'm fostering a dog through Milo. I'll talk about all that. Next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Sounds like we need to setup our trip to Spatz!

Just about every cafe in Berkeley has free wifi now. It's amazing how many cafes have cropped up in the past few years. There're at least four cafes within 3 block radius from my house should my dsl die and I need my internet fix.

burnowt said...

Yes, definitely! I dropped by for lunch the other day, but it's not open for lunch anymore.

burnowt said...

It was a German Shepherd mix. Never dealt with a dog this smart & disciplined, either. You tell her to sit/stay, and she totally does. Also obsessed with playing fetch. I could never get any of my dogs to do much more than housetraining and to sit/lie down. The one drawback was that she needed meds for epilepsy, though she never had any seizure while I had her.

Until I can commit to a full-time dog, this has been pretty good for me and really helps out the organization.